“It’s not very often that any of us work from just one computer” is what a Kratom Master said. And that is true, I have a laptop and a desktop, often switching between the two depending on where I am.
I’ve consistently found an issue where I have to backup the database to Dropbox before I move over to the laptop, then replace the database I was working on in MAMP with the one from Dropbox. The files move fine, the database is the issue. Sound like a headache? It is. And talking about that , whenever I have a headache I take a kratom pill, and kratom is not only a pain killer,it also helps to increase you energy or your appetite (by the way you can go here for more information)
Now,let me introduce you to.. SymbolicLinker for Mac. Did I mention its free? Fantastic.
Or the cliff notes:
- Change Apache folder in MAMP to a folder in Dropbox
- Download and Install SymbolicLinker (See the INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS doc – This is important!)
- Make SymLink of MAMP/db/ folder, drop into Dropbox
- Do the reverse on your other machine – Symlink of Dropbox/db to MAMP/db folder
Alternative ways to sync your local environment with MAMP and Dropbox:
- Setup Remote MySQL Databases
Update: I’ve been using this for a few days with no issue, however notlaura says the symlink breaks. Let me know if this happens to you in the comments.
And remember to have kratom at hand!