Continuing to talk about Speeding up WordPress, here is a short WordPress site speed checklist to think about when developing or fine tuning your WordPress site.
- Evaluate hosting situation – are you on shared when you need dedicated?
- Utilize Caching – See: W3 Total Cache Settings
- Setup a CDN
- Utilize GZIP Compression
- Minify CSS, and JS.
- Compress site images with Smush.it or CW Image Optimizer
- Reduce DOM elements – double check your markup to make sure its streamlined
- Remove @import or use a handler like Bubble
- Put scripts at the bottom of the page
- Replace unnecessary images with CSS
- Remove unused plugins
- Remove unused CSS from your stylesheet
I’m calling this section of the list experimental cause it’s not for the weak hearted. It’s for the die-hard speed junkie.
- Remove unused tables in the WordPress Database
- Disable Post Revisions and other unnecessary DB entries
- Swap PHP requests with HTML – Site name, footer copyright, feed urls, etc.
- Replace Widgets with HTML